Why is the nuclear fission reaction considered better
Science - Armament - Peace pp 9-128 | Cite as
- Jürgen Altmann
This chapter introduces basic natural science and shows its application for war and peace. Section 2.1 lays down the most important basics of calculating with variables and physics, as far as they are used here - also in later chapters; it has to be worked through - at the most, without referring to Sections 2.1.10 to 2.1.12. Sub-chapters 2.2 and 2.3 on nuclear weapons are important, in sub-chapter 2.4 on target accuracy, the quantitative parts of the K value can be skimmed over when reading it for the first time. The short sub-chapter 2.5 on war deaths is important for classification.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
For further reading and further reading
- Disarmament - Retrofitting - Peacekeeping, Munich: dtv, 1983.Google Scholar
- D. Albright, S. Kelleher-Vergantini, D. Schnur, Civil Plutonium Stocks Worldwide End of 2014, Washington DC: Institute for Science and International Security, November 16, 2015, http://isis-online.org/uploads/isis -reports / documents / Civil_Plutonium_Stocks_Worldwide_March_14_2015_FINAL.pdf.
- J. Altmann, Acoustic Weapons - A Prospective Assessment, Science and Global Security 9 (3), 165-234, 2001. Google Scholar
- J. Altmann, Military Nanotechnology - Potential Applications and Preventive Arms Control, Abingdon / New York: Routledge, 2006.Google Scholar
- J. Altmann, Arms Control for Armed Uninhabited Vehicles - An Ethical Issue, Ethics and Information Technology, vol. 15 no. 2, 137-152, 2013Google Scholar
- H. Breuer, dtv-Atlas zur Physik, Vol. 1/2, Munich: dtv, 1987/1988.Google Scholar
- H.L. Brode, Review of Nuclear Weapons Effects, Annual Review of Nuclear Science, vol. 18, 153-202, 1968. Google Scholar
- B. Brodie, F.M. Brodie, From Crossbow to H-Bomb - The evolution of the weapons and tactics of warfare, revised and enlarged edition, Bloomington IN: Indiana University Press, 1973. Google Scholar
- T.B. Cochran, W.M. Arkin, M.M. Hoenig, Nuclear Weapons Databook, Volume I - U.S. Nuclear Forces and Capabilities, Cambridge MA: Ballinger, 1984.Google Scholar
- T.B. Cochran, W.M. Arkin, R.S. Norris, J.I. Sands, Nuclear Weapons Databook, Volume IV - Soviet Nuclear Weapons, New York: Harper & Row, 1989.Google Scholar
- Committee for the Compilation of Materials on Damage Caused by the Atomic Bombs in Hiroshima and Nagasaki, Hiroshima and Nagasaki - The Physical, Medical, and Social Effects of the Atomic Bombings, New York, Basic, 1981. Google Scholar
- P.P. Craig, J.A. Jungerman, Nuclear Arms Race - Technology and Society, New York etc .: McGraw-Hill, 1986. Google Scholar
- N.C. Crawford, War-related Death, Injury, and Displacement in Afghanistan and Pakistan 2001-2014, Cost of War Project, Brown University, 2015. Google Scholar
- P.J. Crutzen, J. Hahn (ed.), Schwarzer Himmel - Effects of a nuclear war on the climate and global environment - short version of the SCOPE report "Environmental Consequences of Nuclear War", Frankfurt / M .: Fischer, 1985.Google Scholar
- CTBTO (Comprehensive Test Ban Treaty Organization), 6 January 2016 - North Korea - Announced Nuclear Test, 2016, https://www.ctbto.org/the-treaty/developments-after-1996/2016-dprk-announced-nuclear- test.
- H. Fischer, R. Labusch, E. Maus, J. Scheffran, draft of a contract to limit the military use of space, in: R. Labusch, E. Maus, W. Send (eds.), Weltraum ohne Waffen, Munich : Bertelsmann, 1984. Google Scholar
- A. Glaser, The Conversion of Research Reactors to Low-Enriched Fuel and the Case of the FRM-II, Science & Global Security 10 (1), 61-79, 2002. Google Scholar
- A. Glaser, Neutronics Calculations Relevant to the Conversion of Research Reactors to Low Enriched Fuel, Dissertation, TU Darmstadt, 2005.Google Scholar
- A. Glaser, On the Proliferation Potential of Uranium Fuel for Research Reactors at Various Enrichment Levels, Science & Global Security 14 (1), 1-24, 2006.Google Scholar
- S. Glasstone, P.J. Dolan (eds.), The Effects of Nuclear Weapons, Washington DC: US Department of Defense / US Energy Research and Development Adminstration, 1977 (as pdf from http://nnsa.energy.gov/sites/default/files/nnsa/ inlinefiles / glasstone% 20and% 20dolan% 201977.pdf).
- H.-P. Harjes, H. Aichele, H. Rademacher, It depends on the political will: A seismic network for recording underground nuclear explosions, in H.-P.Dürr et al. (Ed.), Responsibility for Peace - Scientists Against Nuclear Armament, Reinbek: Rowohlt, 1983.Google Scholar
- M.A. Harwell, Nuclear Winter - The Human and Environmental Consequences of Nuclear War, New York etc .: Springer, 1984. Google Scholar
- A. Hobson, Physics: Concepts and Connections, 5th edition, Boston MA: Pearson Addison-Wesley, 2010. Google Scholar
- Human Rights Watch, Civilian Deaths in the NATO Air Campaign, February 2000, http://www.hrw.org/reports/2000/nato/index.htm.
- IPFM (International Panel on Fissile Materials), Global Fissile Material Report 2015: Nuclear Weapon and Fissile Material Stockpiles and Production, December 2015, http://fissilematerials.org/library/gfmr15.pdf.
- G.F. Kinney, K.J. Graham, Explosive Shocks in Air, Berlin etc .: Springer, 1985. Google Scholar
- H. Krieger, Fundamentals of Radiation Physics and Radiation Protection, Stuttgart: Teubner, 2004.Google Scholar
- H.M. Kristensen, R.S. Norris, Global nuclear weapons inventories, 1945-2013, Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists 69 (5), 75-81, 2013. Google Scholar
- H.M. Kristensen, R.S. Norris, United States nuclear forces 2016, Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists 72 (2), 63-73, 2016. Google Scholar
- H.M. Kristensen, R.S. Norris, Russian nuclear forces 2016, Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists, 72 (3), 125-134, 2016a. Google Scholar
- M. Leitenberg, Deaths in Wars and Conflicts Between 1945 and 2000, Occ. Paper no.29, 3rd edition, Ithaca NY: Peace Studies Program, Cornell University, August 2006, https://pacs.einaudi.cornell.edu/sites/pacs/files/Deaths-Wars-Conflicts3rd-ed.pdf.
- W. Liebert, Resistance to proliferation: Risks and necessary steps to effectively contain nuclear proliferation, in G. Neuneck, C. Mölling (ed.), The future of arms control, Baden-Baden: Nomos, 2005.Google Scholar
- M.G. McKinzie, T.B. Cochran, R.S. Norris, W.M. Arkin, The U.S. Nuclear War Plan: a Time For Change, Washington DC: Natural Resources Defense Council, 2001.Google Scholar
- R. Nelson, Low-Yield Earth-Penetrating Nuclear Weapons, Science & Global Security 10 (1), 1-20, 2002. Google Scholar
- P. Podvig (ed.), Russian Strategic Nuclear Forces, Cambridge MA / London: MIT Press, 2001.Google Scholar
- D. Schroeer, Science, Technology, and the Nuclear Arms Race, New York etc .: Wiley, 1984. Google Scholar
- R. Serber, Los Alamos Primer - The First Lectures on How To Build an Atomic Bomb, Berkeley CA etc .: University of California Press, 1992. Google Scholar
- U.S. Congress, Office of Technology Assessment, The Effects of Nuclear War, Washington DC: U.S. Government Printing Office, 1979, http://ota.fas.org/reports/7906.pdf.
Authors and Affiliations
- Can I carry forward losses from options trading?
- Life cannot exist without feeling
- Who are marathas
- Would you like to donate your sperm
- Will veterans ever get out of shape?
- What is teachable
- How is androphobia treated
- Can we eat a carrot quickly?
- Has the internet helped people live longer?
- What are film studies
- Why does Pennywise say you will float
- Cell batteries can become dangerous if overcharged
- I am tall 60, male, age 20
- Jon Snow didn't want the crown
- How do I know my ovulation day
- What is HANA migration SAP migration
- How would you talk a bully down
- How is the Samsung Z1
- Korea and Japan extinct
- What Makes You a Good Engineer
- How detectives store their evidence
- How does Tableau Online deal with big data
- You can cause pain without physiological harm
- How can I be honest with everyone
- How is IET in terms of placement
- When did you start vaping and why
- Your brain is mushy
- How are newer generations of antibiotics made
- How many people have been wrongly accused
- Why do you hate communists and communism
- Traffic causes depression
- How can I prepare for a competition?
- What are the side effects of prednisone
- When do people start to take care of each other