Melons are a type of pumpkin
Worth knowing: why are watermelons a vegetable?
Often we have already been pointed out why our articles on watermelon are listed under the heading vegetable guide. Watermelons (Citrullus lanatus var. lanatus) are always regarded as fruit in the vernacular, but in the botanical sense they are considered vegetables. Watermelons, like all melons, cucumbers and pumpkins, belong to the so-called cucurbitaceae.
Categorization of vegetables and fruits
In a very simplified way, you can remember that the most diverse parts of the plant are eaten as vegetables: the leaves of spinach, the stalks of rhubarb, the tubers of potatoes or the roots of carrots. Likewise, fruits of the plants can also count as vegetables. Examples of this are cucumbers, tomatoes, eggplants and melons.
In contrast to vegetables, with fruit you only eat the fruits of perennial plants. While an apple tree can live for many decades, annuals include fruit vegetables such as tomatoes, eggplants and melons. After the harvest, the plant usually dies. Then a new plant grows from the seeds in the following year.
Misconception: The categorization is not based on taste
A common belief is that all sweet fruits count as fruit and everything else is a vegetable. Despite their high sugar content, melons are a vegetable, whereas the sour-tasting rhubarb, which is almost exclusively used in desserts, is also a vegetable. In contrast to this, olives are also part of the fruit, although they hardly contain any sugar. Avocados are also not known for their sweetness, but were still part of the fruit.
Did you know that we can also grow watermelons here? In our special article you will find useful information about planting watermelons in your own garden.
Register now for our free gardening post and receive great gardening tips and inspiration regularly in your email inbox.
I have a degree in industrial engineering, but have always been an enthusiastic hobby gardener at heart. I have been growing fruit and vegetables in my own garden for over ten years, and my passion is primarily for rare and special varieties.
Favorite fruit: Red-fleshed peaches and pluots (cross between apricot and plum)
Favorite vegetables: palm kale, tomatoes and cardoons
- Why can trauma lead to success
- How does the Mint app work
- What were the first words of your parrots
- Can extraterrestrial extraterrestrials reach us
- Isn't water just ice juice
- Who is older between Bheem and Duryodhana
- What does service riser mean in construction
- What are proportional taxes
- Why is Coachella so oversubscribed
- What are the principles of moral thinking
- Why do Sony cameras shoot 4k
- Was someone in Barbeque Nation
- What are indigenous men usually imprisoned for?
- Which meat has the lowest CO2 footprint?
- Boston College gives merit scholarships
- What do you dislike about Jared Kushner
- What are the types of teenagers
- How do I update my SEO
- How does Hitwise work
- What is global freezing
- Which scene irritates you when watching movies
- Is It Safe To Exercise On Adderall?
- Which books did you follow for NEET?
- What do you think of John Major
- Which artist sang the song FlowerChild
- How do you stop saying and then
- Should Manchester United sell Alexis Sanchez
- May you hollow out the president
- Who is checking the IGNOU assignment
- Is NF better than Kelly machine gun
- Can you accidentally come to someone
- When is the next PPI exhibition
- Who is the silent boy in BTS
- Are Warrior Golf Clubs good