What is the process of organ harvesting

Organ harvesting trial continued in 2019

Witnesses told the London court that governments that refuse to confront China over organ harvesting are turning their backs on victims of mass slaughter.

Ruth Ingram

Table of Contents: Incorrect Numbers on Transplants in China - The Rapid Expansion of Transplant Infrastructure Lacks Transparency - Undercover Journalist Uncovered Opaque Organ Business - Updated Report: Scientists Refute UK Government Doubts - Organ Harvesting Increases, Not Decreasing - UK Response the report: Deliberately Ignoring the Facts - Organ Harvesting from Living Patients - The Uighurs' appalling fear at the worsening situation in Xinjiang

Experts heard last weekend in London in the second round of China hearings in the organ harvesting court said the world is turning a blind eye to the "organ ransacking" carried out with Beijing's approval and that the practice will continue unabated.

During the first stage of the trial in December 2018, witnesses from human rights investigators, lawyers, doctors and academics were heard. All of them made strong arguments for organ harvesting victims of tens of thousands of prisoners of conscience.

The Independent China Tribunal, mandated by the International Coalition to End Transplant Abuse in China (ETAC, International Coalition to End Transplant Abuse in China), consists of international lawyers from four different countries, an expert in Chinese history, and an organ transplant surgeon and an entrepreneur. Your job is to weigh the evidence and jointly determine the legal consequences that can be drawn if China is found guilty of an international crime.

During the two days of stirring first-hand testimony of torture and imprisonment, the court heard Uyghurs and Falun Gong practitioners who were formerly arrested out of court and reported about their imprisonment, interrogation and abuse. During their imprisonment, thorough health examinations of the internal organs as well as blood and DNA analyzes were carried out on them, which, according to medical experts, can only mean that this was intended for a deliberate comparison with an organ database. One of the former internees, the Uyghur woman Mihrigul Tursun, who testified in front of the court, told about the torture she had suffered and the thorough health examinations during three prison stays between 2015-2017. During this time, one of her triplet children died in an unexplained manner. The child was taken from her when she was arrested at the Xinjiang airport after returning from Egypt. She told of several young women who shared a cell with her and suddenly died and others who simply disappeared.

Wrong numbers about transplants in China

Professor Matthew Robertson and Raymond Hind presented their joint study with Professor Jacob Levee from Tel Aviv University on China's figures on voluntary organ donation. The study shows that the number of transplants performed in China does not match these numbers. The team discovered significant mismatches between statistics from the China Organ Transplant Response System (COTRS) and the numbers from the local Chinese Red Cross. After Beijing promised the global community in 2015 that executed prisoners would no longer be used as an organ pool for transplants, China had to recruit voluntary donors. In just one day - December 31, 2015 - the rounded number of 25,000 new donors was added and in the last week of December 2016 an additional 88,000 donors were added. Robertson stated that the consistency of the statistics indicated "manual manipulation".

One particularly striking anomaly was the Chinese data that allegedly removed a total of 640 organs from their bodies in ten days in which 30 donors died. The court's legal advisor, Hamid Sabi, asked Robertson if it was possible that 21 organs had been removed from each of these donors. Robertson replied that these numbers were "highly suspect" as the average maximum number of organs per donor was 2.7.

Dr. Torsten Trey, the managing director of Doctors Against Forced Organ Harvesting, supported these findings by pointing out the discrepancy between the Chinese numbers and those of the rest of the world. He explained that in the UK, for example, only 1 percent of registered donors a year actually donate, and said, “In China, the public figures are 140 percent higher than other countries, which is unbelievable.” Then he added that the Numbers suggest a "secret donor pool". He assumes that the "indirect evidence obtained from the context" is valid and should at least lead to international investigations.

The rapid expansion of the transplant infrastructure lacks transparency

Dr. Trey also expressed concern about the exponential growth of China's transplant infrastructure after evaluating 68 refereed medical publications on transplant tourism between 2000 and 2016. Since 2000 he has observed a constant, alarming growth of the transplant infrastructure out of nowhere in the hospitals he has examined in detail. He stated that no other country in the world (apart from the documented ISIS killings in 2016) murdered organ donors. "There is tangible evidence of this from transplant patients and tourists traveling to China for organs," he said, calling for an international agreement to compare the DNA of new organs from returning patients with that of prisoners. "That way we could medically determine where the organs came from," he said, adding that the transplant business should be transparent. "China has expanded its knowledge based on the blood and bodies of prisoners of conscience," he says.

“The international medical community should not forget their high standards of 'first of all, it's no shame',” he warned, adding that the figures his organization had presented were often and “willingly” rejected or simply ignored. He has the feeling that there is a secret reluctance to confront China with this issue.

Undercover journalist reveals opaque organic deals

South Korean television journalist Kim Hyeoncheol personally testified in court about his undercover assignment interviewing Korean patients waiting for kidneys and pancreases at the Tianjin No. 1 Central Hospital. None of them knew where their organs came from. A Korean nurse in charge said that patients typically had to wait around two weeks, a maximum of three months, for their organs, and that their health data would not be collected until they arrived in China. She said several Middle Eastern patients were waiting for organs. For example, a liver transplant would normally cost 150,000 euros and the embassies would pay the bills.

Updated report: Scientists refute UK government doubts

As additional witnesses were heard China expert Ethan Gutmann, the Canadian human rights lawyer David Matas and the former Canadian Foreign Minister David Kilgour, their 2016 published report entitled "Bloody Harvest / The Slaughter: An Update" [Bloody Harvest / The Slaughter: An Update ] includes an additional 700 pages of evidence supporting their findings from the original 2007 Kilgour-Matas report on organ harvesting from prisoners of conscience in China.

When questioned by Court Member Nicholas Vetch on allegations made by UK Government Secretary Mark Field in a recent debate on organ harvesting in the UK Parliament for inadequate research methods and a lack of irrefutable evidence, David Matas claimed that he had no doubts about the conclusions of the report cherish. He explained the reluctance of other governments to acknowledge this report by saying that "it is diplomatically difficult to recognize that another government is involved in a mass murder of innocent people". "That's an uncomfortable truth," he explained. “Our process was thorough, we checked the data streams, we checked everything against. We didn't just rely on the hospital records or any piece of evidence. We evaluated a large amount of data that supports our conclusions. "

Ethan Gutmann responded to Mark Field's criticism of her organ harvesting charge, in which he accused them of a lack of incontrovertible evidence or “corpi delicti” that there was actually a lot of “corpi delicti” and “much evidence”. He replied that he assumed that because of the numerous Chinese footnotes, neither Mark Field nor his assistants had read the report and that they underestimated the number of organ donations in the report. In reality, it is likely much higher than the 125,000 they reported. "And that number is projected to increase by 40,000 a year according to Chinese figures," he said, regretting Field's response to the issue on behalf of the British government . "His remarks will be used as an excuse for inaction," he continued. "And that has been going on for over twelve years."

In response to Field's statement that there was no evidence of organ tourism from the UK, Gutmann said his team had contacted 50 hospitals, none of which were willing to reveal patient secrets, but that five hospitals admitted they had tried To discourage patients from traveling to China. He also reported on a patient in Birmingham who had received a new kidney at Xian Hospital.

Organ harvesting is increasing, not decreasing

Gutmann also voiced his fear that there might be an "accelerated version of the persecution of Falun Gong" today because Beijing now has a complete database on the Uyghurs. “The situation of the Uyghurs is catastrophic. Uyghur blood has been examined, crematoria have been built, and there are runways in Xinjiang airports reserved for organ transplants. ”He added that it is impossible to do DNA tests on millions of Uyghurs without government support.

David Kilgour denied allegations of lack of concrete evidence in her report, drawing on his own legal experience as a former Canadian foreign minister, when he said there was overwhelming evidence that this practice was on the rise, not on the wane. He added that he "has no doubt that most of the jurors I have worked with so far would be able to decide that China is guilty within ten minutes if they had our 2016 evidence."

The UK's reaction to the report: deliberately ignoring the facts

Kilgour expressed grave disappointment with what Mark Field had said in Parliament, particularly the lack of a written forensic examination of her 2016 report that he should have produced. “As someone of British origin,” he added, “I am ashamed that a British minister at any level should speak in this way in Parliament.” He continued: “The industry is getting bigger and the numbers are increasing all the time. I am afraid to imagine what is going on in the Uighur community at this moment. It's absurd to try to make me, or you, or anyone else believe that the transplants ended in January 2015. ”“ This horrific organ industry is growing, ”he continues. He has the feeling that British or other governments around the world "consciously ignore" the problem in order not to have to deal with China on this issue and only a few countries - here he mentioned Taiwan, Canada, the Czech Republic and the Czech Republic, among others EU - would have taken a stand.

Mark Field had declined an invitation to the court, but Crown Attorney Sir Geoffrey Nice, the court's chairman, said he should be given an opportunity to speak in court if he agreed.

Organ harvesting from living patients

Dr. Charles Lee, chairman of the World Organization to Investigate the Persecution of Falun Gong (WOIPFG), shared his conclusions after evaluating thousands of academic publications, 300 of which deal with organ donation in China had. The description of the patient's preparations before major organ harvesting and, in some cases, intubation and anesthesia, led him to the conclusion that the patient would have been alive at this point in time. The fact that the so-called donors were young and healthy and had no serious medical history, as well as the fact that the organs could be ordered two weeks in advance, indicated, in his opinion, murder.

The Uighurs' appalling fear at the worsening situation in Xinjiang

Dolkun Isa, chairman of the Munich-based World Uyghur Congress, expressed deep concern about the deteriorating situation of Uyghurs in China. Just like mass disappearances, arrests and internments, he feared that the Uighur identity would be erased. He concluded that, based on the evidence, mostly from 2,000 Kazakhs released from re-education camps under an agreement between Beijing and Kazakhstan, it had become clear that the internees were subjected not only to torture and ill-treatment, but also also systematic health examinations, including blood and DNA tests and organ scans.

"So many of our people just disappeared," he quotes his own mother, who died in a camp in 2017 at the age of 78, "where are they and what happened to them?"

Closing the court, Geoffrey Nice stated that it would be "extremely helpful" if the UK Foreign Office would critically forensically analyze the court's evidence and submit it to answer.

A final verdict is expected on June 17, 2019.

Tags: organ harvesting