Macadamia nuts are poisonous to dogs

Guide to 9 Toxic Foods for Dogs

How many times has your mother scolded you for feeding your dog from the table? Surely you have to grab your own nose at this point. When you feed your beloved dog "human food", you are not only advocating bad animal manners, but in some situations you are even making decisions between life and death. I have now made a list for you so that you know exactly which foods are poisonous for your dog.

Poisonous foods for dogs

Regardless of which breed your four-legged friend belongs to, you should avoid access to chocolate, coffee and caffeine. For us humans these things are harmless and if you don't like to reward yourself with a piece of chocolate, these foods are pure poison for your dog. Among other things, they contain methylxanthine, which is an ingredient in cocoa seeds. This causes nausea and vomiting, up to thirst, an epileptic fit and in the worst case it can lead to the bitter death of your fluffy friend.


Never give your four-legged friend alcohol or food that contains alcohol. Young people sometimes make a joke of it and give their dog alcohol so that they can make fun of the drunk animal afterwards. This can cause nausea, diarrhea, breathing problems and tremors and ultimately kill your four-legged friend.


Avocado is a bad superfood, but it is only suitable for humans and not for your pet's diet. Everything about the avocado, such as the leaves on the tree, contains persin. Persin is poisonous to dogs, birds, and rodents. It can cause breathing problems, fluid retention in the lungs, and even death.


All grapes, including raisins, can cause irreversible damage and, in many cases, cause kidney failure. Even a small grape or raisin can be extremely toxic. If your dog has eaten a grape and he vomits, take your dog to the vet as soon as possible.

Macadamia nuts

Macadamia nuts are also one of the most toxic foods for your dog. Not even a handful can lead to serious illness or even death. If your four-legged friend devours macadamia nuts, watch out for tremors, vomiting, increased heartbeat and paralysis of the hind feet. Take your dog to the nearest vet as soon as possible and get medical attention there.

Yeast dough

Anyone who has ever tried their baking skills on homemade bread knows that yeast rises. This can also happen to your furry favorite's digestive organs. In very small animals, the expansion can lead to an internal organ rupture. Of course, animals can eat fully baked foods, but the dough should no longer be doughy and cool.

Stone fruit

Everyone knows that they are not allowed to eat seeds such as a peach, does your dog know too? The answer is no. Kernels represent a great danger because there is a risk of suffocation or an intestinal obstruction. Therefore, never allow your pet to eat a plum pit or the core of an apple, as these contain cyanide. Always cut fruits before you give them to your four-legged friend and make sure that the kernels land safely in the garbage can.


Too much salt is not only harmful to humans but also to your beloved pet. Salt can lead to life-threatening situations in small animals, also better known as sodium poisoning. Therefore, don't let it get that far and keep your salt inaccessible to your animal.

Dairy products

Dogs and cats are crazy about milk, ice cream, and cheese, but dairy products do more harm than expected. Animals only tolerate the milk of their species and a lactose intolerance can lead to severe stomach aches in your darling. Of course, there are pets who are addicted to dairy products. If so, then feed your four-legged friend with a clear conscience extra animal milk, which you can buy in pet shops.

Animal bones

Animal bones are good pastimes for your beloved pet, but not all bones are suitable for your four-legged friend. Cooked bones can split quickly and small bones, like those of a chicken, can be swallowed in a snap. These small pieces can cause internal cuts or blockages.

Toxic Food For Dogs - What To Do In An Emergency?

Pets see the world differently. Your four-legged friend discovers its surroundings by feeling, smelling and tasting. You certainly don't want to purposely poison your darling, but you should always think about the well-being of your pet first before allowing any treats. While some foods are perfect for your pet, there are of course poisonous foods for dogs too.

No matter how attentive you are as mistress and master, pets have their own mind and will always find a way to get to food. However, to be on the safe side, you should always have your vet's phone number handy. Also pin the emergency hotline for poisoned animals on your fridge or somewhere where the phone number is always close at hand. If you think that your fluffy four-legged friend has eaten poisonous food, you shouldn't hesitate and get help immediately. Because every second counts!

Has your pet ever been poisoned? Then tell us your story in the comments!