Why should i spam you
Answered a spam email - and what happened next
Millions of spam emails are sent every day. Most of them are simply deleted again unread. The colleagues of our sister publication Computerwoche thought that they could no longer watch this waste. That's why they took one of the many emails as an example, fulfilled the sender's most ardent wish and sent him an answer.
The selection was not easy for the colleagues, the offer of the spam senders ranges from penis enlargements, dubious pill offers and love oaths of hitherto unknown beauties to almost unbelievably large sums of money waiting for new owners in unclaimed accounts. You have chosen a "scam mail".
Scammers always follow the same pattern. They promise a fantastic amount of money that is looking for a new owner for a variety of reasons. Unfortunately, the senders of these e-mails cannot get the money without outside help, which is why they found our e-mail address in the depths of the Internet in order to unearth the treasure together with us. Anyone who accepts such an offer will sooner or later be confronted with new fees and costs that have to be paid without ever ending up with money in their own account.
The protagonists of our little email dalog
Computer week: The Alter Ego of Computerwoche, 65 years old, retired, tends to be a bit suspicious, but deeply religious
Paul Dencole (or Den Cole): The scammer
Mr. Robert Gill, Operation Manager of the Trans Alliance Group: Also the scammer
Mr. Tom Hendry, Tom Chamber & Associate, Attorney: Our scammer again
With the exception of the first three e-mails, the original e-mail traffic was conducted in English and translated into German for better understanding. Some of the replies from our scam sender may seem a bit confusing and grammatically adventurous at first reading. This is due to the fact that the English originals were linguistically adventurous over longer stretches. The author's comments are indicated in the following by square brackets.
The next page starts with the "bait mail". Read the log of a small email conversation.
- No profile picture
If the profile picture is missing, this is a pretty good indication that you are dealing with a spammer or even a bot. Lascivious images or model faces also indicate a fake profile.
- Automatic direct message
As soon as you follow the person concerned, you will receive an Auto-DM - an automatic direct message. Usually the content is of a promotional nature. According to the motto: You like my tweets, then subscribe to our newsletter .. This is all about marketing.
- Foreign language
It also becomes suspicious if, for example, you tweet 100 percent in German and suddenly someone retweets you who otherwise only tweets in Japanese or Russian. Something like that should only get you to follow - and Zack is the spam in the timeline.
- Ratio of followers to the number of those whom the account owner himself follows
For example, if someone has more than 10,000 followers (which is the case with popular profiles), but follows around 20,000 followers themselves, that makes you suspicious. Anyone who follows so many hopes for reciprocal love and tries to increase his following in order to suggest content.
- Worthless tweets
Probably the most unmistakable sign of a spammer are worthless to exclusively promotional tweets. A few requests to buy or links to web shops do not interfere. But if that gets out of hand, it gets annoying.
- It is best to read back a few pages on the relevant profile before you follow someone.
Short URL and no bio in the profile
- If you see an abbreviated URL in the Twitterer's short biography, also known as the bio, your warning bells should ring. You never know what is actually hidden behind the link. Can be something good, in the worst case a Trojan. Anyone who links to a reputable profile does not need to disguise it.
- How do you prevent yourself from being overwhelmed
- How do you say drugs in Dutch?
- How to say China in Swahili
- What's so special about Evernote
- Are trading apps good
- How can you display biorhythms graphically
- Are beetles in the animal kingdom
- How can someone get involved in the drug business
- Why did you settle in Jerusalem?
- How can we control each other
- Why can't I save money quickly
- Scientifically, what makes hair look good
- How long does a photovoltaic module last
- What material is used in artificial floors
- What are the pleasure courses after the 12th.
- What is Tolstoy's Peace of War about?
- Can a paralyzed spider survive
- What is Python SpaCy
- How can social norms be changed?
- Who is Tom Brady's sister married to
- Have you ever been betrayed in France?
- Would you like to connect on LinkedIn
- Zombie Burger is overwhelmed
- Where's Tollywood
- What is the mass specific formula for specific weight
- America has reached the greatest political divide
- Methane is a bad breathing gas
- When did Mesopotamia begin and end
- Which is the best hotel in Roorkee
- All accountants are boring
- What are electrical generators used for?
- What is the Palantirs database schema