Are gamers smarter than non-gamers
Johannes Breuer vs. Boris SuchanComputer games - does gambling make you smart or aggressive?
"We have to take a closer look at the gamer scene," demanded Federal Interior Minister Horst Seehofer (CSU) a few days after the attack in Halle, in which two people were murdered on October 9th. The assassin staged his act as a video game and streamed it on the Internet.
The minister received a lot of criticism for his statement - not only from the ranks of politics and the gamer community, but also from academia.
The question of whether computer games make violent has been a controversial issue for years. Psychologists, neuroscientists and social scientists research the consequences of gambling under very different aspects. Recently, some studies have shown positive effects - for example an improvement in learning and memory.
What influence video games have on players and whether there is a direct connection between behavior in the game and in reality is discussed in the "culture of debate" by media scientist Johannes Breuer and neuropsychologist Boris Suchan.
Boris Suchanis professor at the Institute for Cognitive Neuroscience at the Ruhr University Bochum. In a study, he and his colleagues let gamers and non-gamers compete against each other in a learning task. The gamers performed significantly better.
"I think we live in a digital world. We can't turn back time. We used to play cowboys and Indians. Today the whole thing is digital. I think everything is just demonized - you make it very easy for yourself. Man should take a differentiated look at it and also give the children some freedom. "
Johannes Breuer works as a media scientist at the Leibniz Institute for Social Sciences GESIS in Cologne. He researches computer games, learning and aggression.
"The frustration-aggression hypothesis is actually explained by the name itself. Frustrating experiences increase the likelihood that I will act or react aggressively in an interaction. We looked at that for computer games. When I lose and when that it is a very frustrating experience to lose there, then that has an impact on my emotional experience immediately after the game and is carried over to other situations. "
- What is a valve mechanism in mechanical engineering
- God knows about your health
- Who are the best spiritual guides
- Synthetic rubber can completely replace natural rubber
- Is astronomy bad
- How to say skin in Chinese
- Why is there no more art in public space?
- Why are Americans so obsessed with cupcakes
- Which dial indicator is best for mandolin?
- For whom was Psalm 23 written?
- Have you ever thought of studying philosophy?
- Have you ever peed in bed
- Is Iraqi Kurdistan linked to the PKK
- What makes Dartmouth so special
- PUP Optional DriverUpdate A a malware
- Which book should an entrepreneur read?
- What does T minus
- What is a leaf function
- How is Snapchat closing rate growing
- Who is India's Best Command Coach
- How big are your muscles
- Is undoubtedly a big word
- What is Patna's oldest name
- How to store vintage wine