What's your Least Preferred Canadian City

Emigrate to Canada

Canada is a popular country for expats. On the one hand, this has to do with the fact that Canada is one of the countries in the world with the best quality of life. On the other hand, Canada has a very varied nature with breathtaking landscapes. The cost of living in Canada is comparable to that in Germany. In the big cities they can be a little higher, but in the more remote rural areas they are lower again. Overall, rents in Canada are higher than in Germany. Anyone who can afford it should therefore buy an apartment or house rather than rent it. Canada has two official languages: English and French. In order to emigrate to Canada, one should at least be able to speak and write English. If you want to emigrate to the province of Quebec, you should also master French.

Table of Contents

Top international job offers Canada

More offers

For whom is Canada suitable as a country of emigration?

Canada as a country of emigration is particularly interesting for specialists from the medical field and craftsmen, so-called “skilled workers” as well as university graduates. Germans have a good reputation as workers in Canada and therefore have promising opportunities on the Canadian labor market.

The following occupational groups are particularly in demand in Canada:

  • Doctors, nurses and orderlies
  • Craftsmen, e.g. locksmiths, joiners, bricklayers and electricians
  • construction manager
  • Engineers
  • IT specialists
  • Truck driver
  • Experienced professionals from the hotel and catering industry

In Canada in particular, skilled workers such as craftsmen and medical personnel are often in short supply in rural areas. There “skilled workers” are desperately wanted. This is why the Canadian Immigration Service, Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC), facilitates immigration for people from these professions. The immigration authorities have developed a point system for so-called “skilled workers and professionals”, which is used to determine the suitability of a potential immigrant. An overview of the occupational groups given preferential treatment in Canada can be found on the Skilled Occupation List (NOC). Further information on visa and immigration regulations can be obtained from the Canadian embassy in Berlin and the consulates in Düsseldorf, Stuttgart and Munich.

Requirements for an unlimited visa

In order to be able to live and work in Canada without restrictions, you need a work permit and a residence permit, i.e. "Permanent Residence Status". There are several ways to get permanent residence status:

  • due to family reunification: Parents, grandparents, children, or spouses of a Canadian citizen living in Canada can obtain Permanent Residence Status if the Canadian citizen guarantees them. This means that he can prove a certain income and the guarantee must be valid for at least ten years.
  • if you want to invest in Canada: Self-employed people are granted permanent residence status in Canada if they want to invest or start a business in Canada. To do this, they must have sufficient capital and prove that they have already been successful as entrepreneurs. In addition, they are expected to create jobs and be willing to do charitable work, in sports or in the cultural sector.
  • as Provincial Nominee: Immigration regulations are not only regulated nationally in Canada. Individual provinces have their own immigration programs. As with the “skilled worker and professionals” program, this involves skilled workers who are particularly sought after in certain provinces.
  • Skilled Workers Class Immigration: This is the "skilled worker and professionals" program, which uses a point system to determine suitability for immigration. For most Germans, this is the most likely way to get permanent residence status in Canada. The point system is intended to calculate the likelihood that the potential immigrant can really start a new life in Canada.

The skilled worker and professionals program

The point system of the "skilled worker and professionals" program is made up of various categories. There is a maximum number of points for each category. To be eligible for “Permanent Residence Status”, the applicant must achieve at least 67 points. The categories include: language skills in English and / or French, work experience and professional qualifications, age or marital status.

In addition to the point system, there are other factors that must be met:

  • Proof of at least one year full-time or part-time employment in the last ten years in one of the professions at the POL.
  • criminal record certificate
  • Proof of a job offer in Canada. This applies in particular to emigrants whose profession is not on the POL.
  • Proof of financial reserves of approximately CAD $ 10,000 for a single immigrant or approximately CAD $ 19,000 for a family with two children.

Anyone who does not meet the minimum requirements for professional experience and / or professional qualifications will not receive "permanent residence status" regardless of how well they do in the other categories.

It is possible to apply for Canadian citizenship three years after the "Permanent Residence Status" has been issued.

Moving to Canada: What to look out for

A move to Canada needs to be well planned. Many things can be arranged in advance from Germany. Others must be done by the emigrant locally in Canada.

What you can already regulate in Germany:

  • Papers: If you emigrate to Canada, you should de-register at the responsible residents' registration office in Germany. The de-registration confirmation is an important document so that if you need a new passport, for example, you can apply for one at the German representation in Canada. You also need a valid passport and identity card. Other documents, such as a birth certificate or marriage certificate, should also be able to be presented to the Canadian authorities. The German driver's license may only initially be used for a limited time. The best thing to do is to get an international driver's license before traveling to Canada. The German driver's license can then later be exchanged for a Canadian driver's license on site.
  • Pension and old-age provision: There are two social security agreements between Germany and Canada: one with the province of Quebec, which has its own pension insurance system, and one with the rest of Canada. The social security agreements ensure that the two countries recognize and credit the pension entitlements from the other country. You should still contact the German Pension Insurance Company before emigrating to find out about your actual pension entitlements and to clarify whether you still need to provide proof of pension insurance. In addition to the usual pension and private pension in Germany, there is also “Old Age Security” (OAS) in Canada. This is a statutory pension that every employee, including immigrants, is entitled to from the age of 65. Immigrants receive a pro-rated pension based on the number of years they have lived in Canada up to the age of 65.
  • If the household effects are to emigrate with: If you want to take your belongings with you from Germany to Canada, you should hire a shipping company to transport the household effects by ship. It is cheapest to book a "door to door" service. This delivers the freight from the port to the new home in Canada. However, you have to be personally present for customs clearance upon arrival in the Canadian port. The import regulations are very strict in Canada. The Canada Border Services Agency provides information on items that cannot be imported and customs duties.

What needs to be regulated in Canada:

  • Apartment Search: The search for an apartment should be done locally in Canada. Since it is more common in Canada to buy houses or apartments than to rent them, the real estate market for these properties is correspondingly larger. Offers can be found in local newspapers, on notice boards in public buildings, in laundromats, supermarkets or in free magazines. Properties are also offered on the Internet, for example at “A Place in the Sun” or “ReMax”. Of course, you can also hire a broker to look for the right one.
  • Application for the Social Insurance Number (SIN): If you want to work in Canada, you need a Social Insurance Number (SIN), which you apply to the relevant authorities in Canada. Immigrants with “permanent residence status” are entitled to all social benefits that Canadians can claim, such as: unemployment benefits, social assistance, child benefit or retirement benefits. The terms and conditions and the amounts payable can vary widely from province to province and sometimes even from city to city.
  • Setting up a bank account: The banking system in Canada is very clear. If you want to open an account as an immigrant, in addition to the usual two identification documents (e.g. identity card, social security card or driver's license) and proof of address (electricity bill or water bill), an employment contract is required.
  • Health insurance: In Canada there is the state health system "Medicare". All citizens of Canada and immigrants with "Permanent Residence Status" are insured through Medicare. Medicare is financed through taxes. So there are no health insurance contributions, except in the provinces of Alberta and British Columbia. However, Medicare benefits are limited. As a result, most Canadians have additional health insurance through their employer and / or private health insurance in addition to Medicare.

Guide to Jobs Abroad in Canada

Book tips for emigrating to Canada

Note: Updated on May 23, 2021 via Amazon Product Advertising API. Dates and prices may have changed. We earn commissions for qualified purchases through the Amazon.de affiliate program.