How did the ice age begin
Not a result of too much carbon dioxide
Glaciers and icebergs
Los Angeles (USA) - The glaciers of the last Ice Age began to melt around 18,000 years ago. Climate change as a result of more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere has long been considered to be the cause of the end of the last ice age. But that's not true, American climate researchers have now discovered. In a preliminary publication of the journal "Science" they report that the cause is rather to be found in the current climate in the southern hemisphere.
"You can no longer blame carbon dioxide (CO2) alone for the end of the Ice Age," says geologist Lowell Stott of the University of Southern California in Los Angeles. From the analysis of lake sediments from the Pacific, the researchers recognized that temperatures in the deep sea had already increased by around two degrees 1,300 years before a demonstrably higher CO2 concentration in the atmosphere. A water current from the Antarctic region is responsible for this with a warming effect comparable to that of the Gulf Stream today.
The warming of the waters in the southern hemisphere is caused by a higher absorption of the warming solar radiation. Because parallel to the rising water temperatures, the sea ice there is said to have receded, which previously reflected the solar radiation back into space.
This study shows how regional climate effects can have a global impact. Despite the incipient warming by a deep sea current, carbon dioxide also played an important role in the further course of the fading Ice Age. Because the onset of warming released more of the climate gas and accelerated the further decline of the glaciers from Central Europe.
- What happens when someone's visa expires
- What tools are used by outsourced help desks
- What is a tampon 2
- Did Podrick's song have a hidden meaning
- How painful is laser eye surgery
- What is the glycolysis stage
- What is the metabolome
- What is a daily job as a control engineer
- What do false prophets mean
- What is T Boost max
- What are Common Misunderstandings About Payday Lenders
- How to use Robinhood in 2020
- Ask customers to prepay
- When will the lunch club be in Seattle
- Is it safe to travel to Crimea
- How are bingo cards made
- What does YG Entertainment
- What is skin asthma
- What is Quora and Quora Careers
- Why do people feel naked?
- Is Syria considered part of Mesopotamia
- Which is better Firebase or Firestore
- Why do I still love her
- How can we make a simple website