Why are there mosquitoes in the ecological sense
The whirring sleep robbers
Why do mosquitoes betray themselves by their flight noises?
Mosquitoes seem to be born to drive us humans crazy at night. Their typical high-pitched whirring during the flight reveals their presence and is also their undoing again and again. But why don't mosquitoes fly noiselessly?
Mücke - Photo: Helge May
Mosquitoes seem to be born to drive us humans crazy at night. Thanks to a highly sensitive sense of smell and CO2 sensors, you can find us in the deepest darkness - even if we pull the duvet up over our noses. The body's own heat sensors guide the insects to blood vessels that are just below the skin.
While they penetrate there with their flexible and at the same time stable mouthpiece, they numb the puncture site with a pain reliever. So they go unnoticed at first and can tap into us in peace. Only their typical high-pitched whirring during the flight betrays their presence and mosquitoes are always fatal. But why don't mosquitoes fly noiselessly?
On the one hand, it is simply because the muscles and wing vibrations in the air create noise. On the other hand, males and females of the same mosquito species recognize each other by their flight noises. A mute mosquito would be more successful in foraging for food, but it would be difficult to find a sexual partner.
NABU insect expert
Tel. 030/284 984 1616
You can also find this article in the magazine "kraut & rüben - magazine for biological gardening and natural living", with which NABU started a cooperation in December 2009. Julian Heiermann tells an "animal story" in every monthly issue.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Garden Birds Hour
Our world is full of insects - their colors and shapes invite us to be amazed again and again. Can you manage to answer all ten questions correctly?
NABU nature gazer
Observe and report animals and plants all year round.More
Get active now!
“We take part in NABU because we like to be out in nature together. We learn something new on every NABU excursion. "
Sabine Lemke, Werder
Do you have questions?
- Did Daryl die on The Walking Dead
- Can the acceleration time graph have a curve
- Why New York City is so amazing
- What's the most useless language you know
- Who are the last surviving Wham members
- What do citizens do in a monarchy?
- Can Fitbits be hacked?
- How is viscosity the diffusion of momentum
- How do I have 2 Quora accounts
- What is the best method for revising the anatomy
- How can I learn agile
- What is molar refraction
- How can I run my own blockchain
- How do I create a math blog
- How do Mars and Earth compare chemically?
- How to practice atheism
- What do interactive advertising agencies do
- How can I upload pictures to Quora
- What does better quality mean
- Why is fairtrade coffee important
- How does the monetization of the domain traffic actually work
- How many people watch short films
- How is IET in terms of placement
- Should be 100 fdi in aviation