Which meat has the lowest CO2 footprint?
Which foods have which CO2 footprint?
Mr Wirz, an organic tomato from Sicily that lies on German shelves in winter - what is it that makes it climate-friendly?
That is the popular belief. The longer the journey, the more CO2 is blown into the air. That is logical, but in practice it is never true. You have to look at each product individually in order to make a reasonable statement about the carbon footprint.
What does that mean?
In order to make a CO2 balance for food, the whole chain has to be considered. Cultivation, storage, transport and packaging. That is why it cannot be said in general that short transport routes are good for the climate. It always depends on the time.
How am I supposed to recognize that as a consumer?
It's old wisdom. Seasonal is always better than non-seasonal. Regional is better than national. However, as explained using the apple example, that depends on the point in time. Organic is usually better than conventional. And seasonal fresh is a hundred times better than seasonal from the glass house.
Speaking of the glass house. Organic cucumbers are grown in greenhouses on the Reichenau. What is the carbon footprint?
(laughs) A relatively big one. The more I heat, the more energy I need for production or storage, the worse my CO2 balance. You can also put it quite simply: tomatoes in winter, whether conventional or organic, have nothing to do with climate-friendliness. But one cannot expect or explain this to any consumer because no one wants to do without the food.
While we're on organic cucumbers. Why are everyone shrink-wrapped in the supermarket?
The trade has determined that, the organic industry would have liked to have it reversed. The cucumbers are shrink-wrapped so that there is no fraud. The sole purpose of this is to distinguish between organic cucumbers and conventional goods.
Which foods would I have to do without for the environment?
In principle, animal products always have a higher CO2 balance than vegetable products. Butter, beef and milk have the highest values. It doesn't matter whether it's organic or not, although organic always has a slightly lower greenhouse
has gas emission.
What other differences are there?
In order to be able to compare an organic product with a conventional one, the CO2 emissions are not sufficient as a value. You have to look at sustainability as a whole in order to capture the benefits of organic farming. In what way is the field tilled? Which fertilizers and pesticides are used? How does this affect biodiversity? Animal products are all about animal welfare.
Isn't the organic boom coming to an end at some point?
No, the market is far from saturated. More and more farms in agriculture are switching to ecological farming. In addition, the organic sector has missed regionality and is now increasingly getting involved in marketing.
Axel Wirz has been working as a research assistant at the Research Institute for Organic Agriculture (FiBL) in Frankfurt since 2011. The focus of his work is on socio-economics with the topics of business administration, regionality and sustainability. The 60-year-old prepares studies and reports in these areas.
- Where are the showrooms in Hampshire
- What's your last pleasant surprise
- Is flash steam geothermal energy efficient
- Can gamma rays damage normal cells?
- Does drugs affect children?
- Who is a real astrologer in india
- Charge wine meters for wine tastings
- What is a psychological noise
- How is the longevity of the car in most countries
- When did Fiserv go public?
- What is the main point of Article 370
- What are the ten punishments for Eve
- How many people speak Toki Pona
- Can I change my father's name?
- Why is wood generally colder than steel?
- What's next after deep learning
- How can big banks better recognize fraud?
- What help do enzymes
- How many national parks are there
- How do I optimize hosting in WordPress
- What do you think of Judd Nelson
- What makes a good book of poems
- What is human when you are human
- How do I get famous online looks
- Do you prefer lizards or sharks
- Why Nepal's New 2015 Constitution is Best
- Is the thyroid responsible for weight loss?
- Is MRSA permanent
- What techniques do excellent speakers use
- Can a paralyzed spider survive
- How is your emergency fund structured?
- How much air is there in a football?
- How do NHS hospitals share health records