Can Valium be snorted
Benzodiazepines - effect, side effects and risk of addiction
- Benzodiazepines are powerful drugs that help calm and promote sleep. However, they should only be used for a short time, otherwise there is a risk of addiction.
- © iStock.com/RichLegg
Benzodiazepines are among the most commonly prescribed sedatives (tranquilizers) and sleeping pills (hypnotics). Up to 1.6 million Germans are dependent on these prescription drugs. The best-known representative came onto the market as early as the 1950s: the active ingredient diazepam under the trade name Valium. In order to reduce the side effects of the highly effective substance and to reduce the risk of addiction, numerous other benzodiazepines have been developed to date.
List of the most important Benzodiazepines
The most common active substances among the benzodiazepines include:
- Dipotassium chlorazepate
Benzodiazepines - their effect on the mind and body
Benzodiazepines are prescription psychotropic drugs, so they work through the brain on the psyche. Benzodiazepines influence the metabolism in the brain and the messenger substances (neurotransmitters). Docking sites (receptors) for benzodiazepines are not only found in the brain, but also in the spinal cord and many organs. Benzodiazepines therefore act in the entire central nervous system.
They change the activity of the inhibitory neurotransmitter gamma-amino-butyric acid (Gaba). This in turn affects the hormones norepinephrine, acetylcholine and serotonin. As a result, benzodiazepines work both physically and mentally. The physical effects of benzodiazepines are antispasmodic and muscle relaxant.
Psychological effects of benzodiazepines:
- mood-lifting to euphoric
Lifeline / week
Depending on the substance, one or the other effect is in the foreground. Accordingly, benzodiazepines are prescribed for the following diseases:
In addition, benzodiazepines are often given to patients before surgery to keep them from feeling so excited.
Benzodiazepines - Side Effects and Degradation Duration
Like any highly effective drug, benzodiazepines have a number of side effects. The most common are:
- a headache
- Loss of libido
- Muscle weakness
- Impairment of reaction time: In order to avoid accidents, patients should not drive or otherwise use machines and heavy equipment, especially at the beginning of treatment.
Elderly people can also experience confusion and excitement as a side effect. In addition, the risk of falling increases in this age group when taking benzodiazepines.
It is also important to know that benzodiazepines have a very long half-life. This means that the drugs are broken down very slowly in the body. Depending on the active ingredient, the substance may only have completely disappeared from the organism after several days. If benzodiazepines are taken regularly, it can lead to an accumulation.
Benzodiazepines and Alcohol: Hazardous Mixture
In principle, psychotropic drugs may only be used in consultation with a doctor or psychologist. Benzodiazepines should also never be taken with alcohol, heroin or methadone. Alcohol and the aforementioned addictive substances increase the effect of the tablets. Lethal side effects such as respiratory paralysis can develop.
Contraindications: Who should not take benzodiazepines
As a general rule, benzodiazepines should not be taken during pregnancy, in the case of narrow-angle glaucoma (a special type of glaucoma) and in the case of previous alcohol, drug or medication abuse.
Benzodiazepines and Addiction: Benzo addiction is common
A particularly dramatic side effect of long-term treatment with benzodiazepines is addiction. Drug addiction is not a problem for a fringe group, but affects more than a million people in Germany, especially women. This figure is based on data from the prescription benzodiazepines. The number of unreported cases of private prescriptions is not known.
Studies have shown that with benzodiazepines there is a risk of physical or psychological dependence after one to four weeks. Short-term use is useful for many diseases, such as an epilepsy attack or an anxiety disorder.
However, constant consumption is dangerous. The effect of the tablets gradually weakens, and some patients then take more and more of them. Other signs of benzodiazepine addiction include:
- Change in personality
- massive mood swings
- Everyday tasks can hardly be mastered
- Muscle weakness
Withdrawal symptoms when stopping benzodiazepines
But how should benzodiazepines be discontinued? If the intake is stopped from one day to the next, withdrawal symptoms occur. This is possible even if the drug has only been used in low doses, but over a longer period of time. Withdrawal symptoms range from difficulty sleeping and tremors to nausea and panic attacks.
Benzodiazepines should therefore only be tapered off under the supervision of a doctor and strictly according to his instructions. This means that the dose is gradually reduced so that the body and mind get used to doing without the substance again.
"Benzos", "Slides", "Flunies": Benzodiazepines as drugs
However, because of their anti-anxiety and relaxing effects, benzodiazepines are also misused as drugs. In scene jargon they are called "Benzos", "Dias" or "Flunies" depending on the active ingredient. They are taken as high-dose tablets, their powder sniffed or dissolved, and intravenously injected. Because of the high dose, it is easy to become dependent. Benzodiazepines are also misused as knockout drops because of their relaxing effect.
- Are materials considered assets
- Are Trump's racial comments propaganda
- Kills fire plague
- How is a social media account verified
- Quora is dominated by university professors
- Especially who delivers ISIS
- Snape is overrated Harry Potter
- How bad do you want fame
- Who refinances individual wide mobile homes
- Which platform is best for direct mail
- What are wireless communication protocols
- Why does Cersei House hate Tyrell
- What is the formula for salicylic acid
- How is tree oxygen created without photosynthesis
- What are shekels
- Which startups in Melbourne, Australia are hiring
- What is your Xbox Gamer Points scoring
- Is MDS in AIIMS or not
- Why is Nepal the shooting destination
- Isn't water just ice juice
- Northerners are generally welcome in Atlanta
- Is there anything psychopaths admire about neurotypes
- Which is the best Litecoin investment
- Who were the losers of the First World War
- How much money is 43 574 pence
- What are some good party bus ideas
- Canada is a single payer
- How's UCLA in summer
- Beanbags are bad for posture
- What is the formula of tartaric acid
- What is pre-sintering
- How does peace do it
- When are the tires bad?
- A college degree is overrated in India