Which doctor should I see?
The search for the doctor
If you have health problems, the first way is to General practitioner. He / she does not only consider your illness, but also your work situation and your family environment and is also the contact person for preventive care. In addition, your family doctor will guide you through the health system if health problems arise that cannot (no longer) be treated in the family doctor's practice, or if you need treatment other than medical treatment (e.g. nursing, physiotherapy, etc.).
Specialists have trained in a specific medical specialty: e.g. internal medicine, ophthalmology, gynecology, etc. For this, after completing their studies, they have completed at least six years of training as a specialist. It makes sense to get a referral from your family doctor before each visit to a specialist.
Additional training for doctors
Acupuncture, occupational medicine, psychosomatic medicine - all doctors practicing in Austria are obliged to continue their education according to the Doctors' Act. In addition to basic medical training and the further training required by law, many doctors complete additional training, which is offered, for example, by the Austrian Medical Association (ÖÄK).
Doctors can acquire the following ÖÄK diplomas, among others:
- Psychosomatic medicine: Illnesses are viewed in their bio-psycho-social context - i.e. holistically - and patients are treated taking psychological and social factors into account.
- Acupuncture: Chinese needle therapy - e.g. for hay fever, tennis elbow, menstrual cramps, allergic asthma or chronic spinal disorders.
- Nutritional medicine: Diagnosis, therapy and prevention of nutrition-related diseases - e.g. obesity, food intolerance or allergies, diabetes, heart disease, eating disorders.
- Occupational medicine: The aim of this is to maintain and promote the health and performance of employees. The areas of responsibility of occupational physicians include areas such as protective clothing for certain professional groups, the design of workplaces and the prevention of work-related illnesses.
- Accompanying cancer treatments: They complement conventional medicine through the quality-oriented use of complementary treatments in the treatment of cancer (e.g. mistletoe therapy).
- Geriatrics: Treatment of diseases and disabilities of older age.
- Manual medicine: Manual (special hand-applied) examination techniques on the musculoskeletal system in order to identify functional disorders and treat them according to manual techniques.
- Palliative medicine: Qualified care for terminally ill people.
- Special pain therapy: Special training in diagnosis and therapy of acute and chronic pain.
Doctors will inform you about additional qualifications on your doctor's office sign and / or your website. Most online doctor searches also provide information about additional training courses. Every doctor can offer any service for which he / she has been trained. The permitted medical activities are not limited to scientifically recognized methods, but also include complementary medical methods such as homeopathy, acupuncture, etc.
You can find more information about ÖÄK diplomas under Medical Academy.
- What is a blitz chess game
- Why is brand compliance so important
- Where can I start learning Phone Gap
- Is Public Health Care Effective in India?
- USGI jungle boots last a lifetime
- How do I participate in the SERP
- How bad is the air pollution in China
- What do we call svayambar in English
- How do I manipulate Quickbooks POS data
- Is GSuite worth the investment
- What rank does HM1 have in the Navy
- Why is Bitcoin increasing in 2019
- Is SSL required for the MySQL server
- Which board is heavy
- How do plants breathe
- How is the night life in Birmingham, MI
- How do I backup pfSense settings
- Why is Photoshop called Photoshop
- Who taught you art?
- Most of the farms in Israel are organic
- Can you name three environmentally friendly companies
- Which don't give off oxygen
- When was carpet first used in cars?
- What is freezing weather
- What is the average IQ of an ant
- Changing the spark plug wires improves performance
- Why all the fuss about retirement
- Why did you go into accounting
- Is crowdfunding the same as giving cash
- What is the cause of psychosis
- What social stigma needs to be removed
- Football has a concussion CTE problem
- Are RFID-based projects associated with optical communication
- Are the doctors in advertisements really doctors