What is commercial whaling
Why do people still hunt whales to this day?
The trade in whale products is strictly prohibited, but some countries still oppose this ban. Greed for profit and financial interests still play a role. Oil, fat and cartilage mass are used in pharmaceutical products and as dietary supplements. Whale meat ends up on tourists' plates as a “traditional dish” or is processed into pet food. In Japan, even school children are served whale meat in the canteen - although it is often contaminated with environmental toxins such as mercury! Norway or Iceland also refer to whaling as a tradition, although commercial interests are in the foreground in hunting today.
Why is the international whaling ban not being observed?
Commercial whaling was banned in 1986. However, Japan, Norway and Iceland continue to hunt fin whales, minke whales and sei whales. The whaling countries believe they have a right to do so. Japan continues whaling on the pretext of doing scientific research. Norway has appealed against the moratorium and Iceland invokes a dubious reservation against the hunting ban imposed by the IWC. In doing so, the whaling countries are undermining international whale protection and have prevented full implementation of the moratorium from the start. Unfortunately, the IWC has so far been a "toothless" agreement, as it does not provide any means of penalizing countries for violating the rules. We are currently working on changing this situation.
Why are dolphins hunted?
Although it is illegal in most countries these days, dolphins (and small whales) are hunted in many places around the world. The reasons are often the same as hunting large whales: financial interests and the sale of whale meat and other whale products. Probably the most famous and bloodiest hunts take place in Taiji (Japan) and on the Faroe Islands. Dolphins and small whales are driven into small bays and brutally killed. In Taiji, young dolphins are also selected and sold to the dolphinarium industry. The driven hunts in Japan have been massively criticized by the public for years. So that the cruel hunt cannot be documented from land, the dolphin catchers set up barriers.
- What year was Donovan McNabb drafted?
- Will Ola and Uber accept cash
- What are the symptoms of yellow fever
- Why is reputation important in the workplace
- What is skin asthma
- What is the official language of Hungary
- Lemon leg hair bleaching works
- What are some annoying things about twitter
- How tall is Yao Ming
- Snakes die after giving birth
- What are popular Japanese board games
- How does political satire affect politics?
- Why do stick insects look like branches
- How do I drain my iPhone battery
- Why are schooners no longer popular
- Radiation is considered pollution
- I can't play the guitar anymore
- What is the translation of Madre
- There is a thing called a cold allergy
- How can I control urination?
- What is kya hua
- How do I calculate APY
- What is ESA
- Which industries will benefit from virtual reality