How do scientists measure pain
Measure pain objectively
In order to be able to accurately assess the pain of our fellow human beings, we would literally have to be in their skin. Because pain is a subjective perception. Pain can only be measured objectively with the help of artificial intelligence.
"How bad is your pain?" - Doctors rely on the statements of their patients when it comes to pain therapy. In doing so, they repeatedly encounter language barriers. “Children, for example, often cannot describe pain precisely. Patients with dementia or other cognitive impairments also have problems providing information about the intensity and quality of pain, ”reports Prof. Harald C. Traue, Head of Medical Psychology at Ulm University Hospital.
Researchers measure pain with the help of artificial intelligence
Prof. Traue's team succeeded for the first time in objectively measuring pain. In an experimental pain study, they treated almost 100 volunteer test persons to four differently strong heat stimuli on their forearms. They adjusted the intensity of the stimuli to the individual pain threshold of the participants. During the experiment, they recorded a wide variety of body reactions. "The most informative in terms of pain intensity were the facial EMG, the electrical skin resistance, the distance between the eyebrow and the corner of the mouth and the wrinkles at the root of the nose," explain the study authors.
Above all, machines recognize severe pain
The scientists evaluated the immense amount of data with high-performance computers. The researchers were most successful when they trained the computers on the individual pain reactions of the individual test subjects. Then they achieved an accuracy of 94 percent for severe and 59 percent for mild pain. The impersonal measurement method achieved an accuracy of 74 to 91 percent in severe pain. With weak ones it was too imprecise.
Source: Ulm University
Authors07.03.2017 | Susanne Schmid
- How does buffalo sound
- WikiLeaks has ever been wrong
- Dell Latitude E7440
- Dumbledore was a good headmaster
- Who will allied India in World War III
- Who are the prophets born in Mecca?
- Cistrons have both exons and introns
- What do Malaysians think of Spain
- Why are generative opposing networks so creative
- How do I manipulate Quickbooks POS data
- How do you teach children about compassion
- What is Lamborghini's marketing strategy
- Is Phuket safe from tsunami
- Do you manipulate people a lot?
- Why does the brain hate pain
- Are Homo Sapiens naturally monogamous or polygamous
- What is the salary for an IISc professor
- Why is philosophy viewed as a metadiscipline
- How can I download Microsoft PowerPoint
- What does the coloring of your warehouse mean
- What sets UPenn apart from other Ivy Leagues
- Kills fire plague
- Masturbation can cause anxiety or depression
- Why do seals beat their bellies?