What is screaming i am a tik token user
Tik Tok spies on users millions of times via the clipboard
Tik Tok has spied on its users on a massive scale. That revealed a new feature in the beta version of iOS 14. Allegedly, the company had already fixed the error in April 2020. Now it shows: That was not the case. What else can we believe? A classification.
It is not uncommon for apps and services to use small vulnerabilities or gaps in operating systems to access personal data unnoticed and undetected.
If, however, a developer draws attention to the abuse and several media outlets report it at the same time, the company concerned tries to appease it quickly.
The error is then publicly removed with the latest update of the operating system or a new version of your own app. For the user, this means: the danger has been eliminated. My data is safe even if I continue to use the service.
Tik Tok saves the clipboard - despite statements to the contrary
One such case has now been revealed by cybersecurity expert Zak Doffman. It's about the following: In April 2020 Doffman discovered that Tik Tok - and probably other applications - were spying on the clipboard on smartphones unnoticed.
That means: If something is in your cache - this can be a password, for example - Tik Tok will be informed about it. Jeremy Burge, for example, shows what this looks like on his Twitter account.
This problem has actually been known for months. The Chinese social media app originally cited a bug in a software development kit (SDK) from Google as the reason for the millions of spies.
Allegedly, the error was also fixed in April 2020. However, the screenshots on Twitter from the new beta version of iOS 14 show: The statements are probably not true.
New security feature from Apple reveals espionage
But how did espionage come to light in the first place? In mid-June 2020, Apple presented the beta version of its new iOS 14 operating system. The company from Cupertino, California, has once again built in some new security features.
One of these functions is, for example, that all users receive a push notification on the screen as soon as an application accesses the iPhone's clipboard.
Tik Tok speaks to the magazine Forbesto the effect that the function is not used for espionage, but to detect and prevent bots and spam-like behavior at an early stage.
What else can we technology corporations believe?
Now it is actually possible that Tik Tok - and also other applications - actually spied on the behavior of its own users because of this intention. Nevertheless, two questions arise:
Free LinkedIn guide!
Register now for our weekly BT compact newsletter. As a thank you we give you ours LinkedIn guide.
- Why does Tik Tok secure access to the clipboard in all apps and not just in its own application?
- How credible are the statements of technology companies if it turns out a few months after an announcement that the old method is still being used?
By synchronizing multiple Apple devices, Tik Tok was also able to view your clipboard on your Macbook, for example. With the update to iOS 14, the social network is now obliged to finally fix the error.
Whether and to what extent this also applies to Android users and their devices is still open. With a view to data protection and transparency, we can only hope that Tik Tok will finally tell its users the truth here too.
- Can dogs eat lettuce and tomatoes?
- Which celebrity has the best restaurant
- Is It Safe To Use Expired Betadine?
- Are Haworthias winter succulents
- Which cultural practices make no logical sense
- How did the ice age begin
- Can print Walmart documents
- How is the core training part of yoga
- Why are there bots on Tinder
- What is polygyny and polyandry
- Would Iran be seen as authoritarian or totalitarian?
- Why all the fuss about retirement
- Is wind power better than fossil fuels
- How can I open bet365
- Who created the modern clock
- Are buyers competing with their suppliers
- How do socialist states protect the rights of the individual?
- Is the iPad good for education?
- How safe are the Maldives for travel
- Zaheer Khan's international career is over
- How can I access cPanel
- What are your top 10 90s songs
- How long did your car battery last
- Kills fire plague