Can dogs eat lettuce and tomatoes?
Are Tomatoes Poisonous to Dogs? | That is to be observed
Dog owners know it: The beloved four-legged friend would like to eat everything that comes on the table. In general, it is not recommended to feed dogs scraps of food and certain types of food. Tomatoes are an exception here, because they can be eaten by the four-legged friends under certain conditions.
Can dogs eat tomatoes?
Dogs are often particularly curious when it comes to food and nutrition. It is therefore not surprising that many four-legged friends would also like to taste tomatoes. Basically nothing speaks against it, because the fruits are quite healthy! However, it is important that the animals only consume ripe fruits, because unripe fruits contain the poisonous substance solanine. This can lead to poisoning in both humans and dogs. It should be noted, however, that the substance is mainly found in unripe tomatoes and in the green parts of plants. However, with advancing ripeness, the solanine content decreases significantly, which is why feeding tomatoes is permitted. Whether the fruits are already fully ripe can be seen from these characteristics:
- Fruits no longer have green spots
- Tomatoes have taken on their varietal color (e.g .: red, orange, green)
- Fruits are easy to harvest
- Fruit stalk loosens at the predetermined breaking point
- Fruits are soft
When dogs eat unripe tomatoes
If you grow tomatoes in your own garden, you should make sure that the dogs do not nibble on the plants or eat unripe fruit. Because both the green parts of the plant and unripe tomatoes contain the substance solanine, which is poisonous for dogs. In dogs, eating large amounts of unripe tomatoes can cause the following symptoms, among others:
- Gastrointestinal disorders
- Cardiac effects
- Loss of coordination
- Muscle weakness
Tip: When growing tomatoes in your own garden, it is advisable to keep an eye on your four-legged friend and keep them from nibbling on the plants. Another way to keep dogs away from the tomato plants is to fence the plants appropriately.
How to feed ripe tomatoes to dogs?
Before tomatoes end up in the dog bowl, the vet should first get the okay. This is because some dogs suffer from health problems, such as heartburn or gastrointestinal problems, which can be made worse by eating tomatoes. However, if the four-legged friend is healthy, he can happily eat tomatoes every now and then. However, it is important to ensure that he only receives small amounts.
- Feed only ripe tomatoes
- always feed only small amounts
- either raw or cooked
- or further processed
Tomatoes can be processed into numerous dishes and products. In principle, these are not a problem for dogs, as long as the ingredients fit. When buying ready-made products made from tomatoes, care should be taken to ensure that they do not contain any artificial colors or flavorings, as well as salt or sugar. However, if it does contain these substances, it is better not to feed dogs with them.
Tomato allergy in dogs
In rare cases, dogs can be allergic to tomatoes. It is therefore advisable to watch out for possible symptoms, especially when feeding tomatoes for the first time. The following symptoms are very common in an allergic reaction:
- to cough
- Difficulty breathing
Tip: If allergic reactions occur, it is advisable to consult a veterinarian immediately!
- How common is English abroad
- Why do posts rank better than pages
- Chechnya was always Russian like Crimea
- What is Neo-Darwinism
- Who invented K Pop
- A career is uncertain under the law
- Does college really matter in today's world
- Will you beat your best friend for 100,000
- Can displace CO2 O2 from hemoglobin
- Should I learn Spanish or French?
- The exchange rates are fixed
- Where did Margot Frank die?
- What is the best laptop for school
- What are some nice tourist spots
- How do we practically use selenium
- What is gradient in physics
- What's wrong with Salt Lake City
- How did the ice age begin
- In simple terms what are differential forms
- What is reverse engineering logic
- Are there any benefits of nail varnishing
- How can I stop spitting while pregnant?
- What are the positive aspects of civilization
- What's the best snapchat photo