Can you prevent a premature birth
Preventing premature birth: what helps?
Around the 20th week of pregnancy, the gynecologist can use ultrasound to measure the length of the cervix. Until birth, its length should not be less than 25 millimeters. A shortened cervix halfway through pregnancy significantly increases the risk of premature birth. The cervix could open long before the due date. To prevent this, the cervix can be closed with a plastic band (cerclage) or ring (pessary).
Women with a shortened cervix are also given progesterone in tablet form, a hormone that helps maintain pregnancy. "In pregnant women with a shortened cervix, the administration of progesterone lowers the risk of premature birth by a third and prevents premature births before the 31st week," explains Ekkehard Schleußner. Progesterone can also significantly reduce the risk of other risk factors such as previous premature births. Expectant mothers then take the drug until
34th week a.
Itching in the vagina and smelly discharge should always be a warning sign during pregnancy. In many cases, an infection in the vagina, bacterial vaginosis, is the cause of premature birth. If this infection moves towards the uterus, it can cause labor or rupture of the bladder there. For this reason, gynecologists check whether the environment in the vagina is right with every examination. Pregnant women can do this themselves with a special glove (from the pharmacy) that measures the pH value in the vagina - this is often increased in the event of an infection.
"Even if the data is not clear, like many gynecologists, I recommend this self-measurement," says Schleußner, who 15 years ago worked on a campaign to prevent premature births in Thuringia. Pregnant women received the glove for measuring the vaginal pH value free of charge from the gynecologist and were able to test themselves. "Then the premature birth rate fell rapidly before the 32nd week," says Schleussner. Other federal states have repeated this action with similar results. In the meantime, some health insurance companies also cover the costs for the glove.
Vaginal infections are often a trigger for premature births or late abortions. If this risk is known, the cervix can be closed with a thin layer of tissue if the pregnancy occurs again. "The result is a bacteria-proof barrier that protects the cervix, but opens easily during birth," says doctor Jan-Peter Siedentopf. Such operations - like cerclage - also involve risks and should therefore be carefully weighed up with the doctor beforehand.
- What are some hacks for using Ebates
- Can steel be normalized and annealed
- The people of Singapore celebrate Christmas
- Wikipedia is viewed as a propaganda hub
- What are some curated tech newsletters
- Why is reproduction essential for organisms
- The Linux system administrator is a good choice for the network operator
- Childhood vaccination should be compulsory these days
- How do I send an email to support
- Has anyone tried taking nootropics sublingually?
- What do you like about nomadic life
- Which is better grilled or roasted chicken
- Why does the earth attract the sun
- How can I be honest with everyone
- What are roots in quadratic equations
- Larry Mullen Jr. was a good drummer
- What is Balos Disease
- What is the specialty of Varanasi
- Why is heterochromatin transcriptionally inactive
- How was it to meet Ranveer Singh
- Is Apple a technology company
- What is a copy
- Why are there bots on Tinder
- What does Ahjusshi mean in K Pop
- Is it difficult to rewrite an operating system
- What is the name of the connection NH
- How rich is Osama bin Ladin
- What clothes should I take with me to Nantes?
- What are the requirements for a visa
- How can I upload funds to Skrill
- Did you like Obama
- Why are people still buying bitcoin