Previously earthquakes caused damage in Alaska
Alaska is cleaning up after a severe earth tremor and hundreds of aftershocks
A 7.0 magnitude earthquake and many minor tremors wreaked havoc in Alaska over the weekend. In the meantime, however, the supply of electricity, gas and water has been almost completely restored.
(dpa) Torn roads, devastated supermarkets, burst water pipes: a 7.0 magnitude earthquake and more than 200 aftershocks left severe damage in southern Alaska on Friday and Saturday. In the coming days, further weaker tremors can be expected, said the earthquake control center of the American state. So far, the police have not assumed dead or seriously injured.
The main quake occurred on Friday at 8:29 a.m. local time at a depth of 40 kilometers. According to information from the earthquake control center, slight effects could still be felt at a distance of 600 kilometers. According to the experts, it was one of the worst tremors in Alaska in recent years.
The epicenter was near Anchorage, the largest city in the state. Almost 300,000 people live there. The authorities were initially unable to provide precise information on the amount of damage. The supply of electricity, gas and water has been interrupted in many places, but has now been almost completely restored.
Tsunami warning lifted
Several videos are circulating on social media of Anchorage residents panicking. A reporter published recordings on Twitter that are said to have come from a courthouse. It shows how the house shakes violently and two women seek refuge under tables. Other pictures showed broken window panes and overturned furniture. A stretch of road leading to the Anchorage airport sagged.
On Saturday night, Alaska's earthquake observatory recorded multiple aftershocks that exceeded magnitude 5.0. There were also many minor vibrations. The authorities later lifted a precautionary tsunami warning for some parts of the south coast of Alaska.
Bill Walker, the outgoing governor of the state, had declared a disaster in order to be able to organize aid more quickly. American President Donald Trump was briefed on the situation at the G-20 summit in Argentina and pledged his administration to help.
Alaska is repeatedly hit by tremors. The earthquake control station in the state measures a tremor every 15 minutes on average. Most of them are not felt by the residents. A particularly devastating quake occurred in 1964 when a value of 9.2 was measured.
- What are the latest Chinese inventions unknown
- What are some quick healthy recipes
- Which is closest to the sun
- How does gravity help at work
- How are the FDA's food calories calculated
- Coding is really boring and difficult
- Can you be civilly arrested?
- What is the best cryptocurrency portfolio tracker
- Are dentists reliable
- What is your opinion on biotechnology
- How do you overwinter French lavender
- Who makes engines
- How do you overcome family discrimination
- What do Coptic Christians believe about divorce?
- Which is the best PUBG mobile trigger
- What is meant by more substituted alkene
- Will get Coolpad Note 3 Android Marshmallow
- Are palm trees native to Hawaii 1
- Does the reporting work in League of Legends
- How do pivot points work
- What are your strong opinions
- Why is my cat scratching my feet
- Does anyone work at the Karnataka Bank
- How do I integrate Hadoop into spark