Can a mathematician work in theoretical physics
Theoretical physics studies: content, courses, professions
Theoretical physics deals with the study of natural phenomena with the help of mathematics and logic. It leaves all experimental work to experimental physics and explains only on the basis of theoretical research. The spectrum of theoretical physics ranges from mathematical physics to diagrammatic perturbation theory and the development of approximation methods to computational physics and phenomenology.
Theoretical physics studies in numbers: degree, job prospects, salary
Entry-level sectors for theoretical physics graduates
The majority of Theoretical Physics graduates work in education and research
Salary development of theoretical physics graduates
After 10 years, the starting salary of theoretical physics graduates doubles
Where can I study theoretical physics?
It is a fairly small course that you can currently only complete at four universities in Germany. With our course search you can find out which cities offer the theoretical physics course.
What is the content of a theoretical physics course?
The course builds on the content already learned in the Bachelor's degree. Theoretical Physics takes on the task of tracing empirical results of experimental physics back to basic theories and forming hypotheses for new theories. The typical subjects that you will encounter include, for example:
- Mathematical quantum physics
- Theoretical solid state physics
- Quantum optics
- Statistical Physics
- General math
- General physics
- Technical English
You will also come across content from other natural sciences again and again during the course of your studies. Compulsory internships are also planned at some universities.
What professions are there with a theoretical physics degree?
Would you like to study this subject but don't know what to do with it later? We know what careers you can take after your master's degree!
After graduating, you can work here:
- Public service
- Patent system
- Financial service providers
- Science journalism
- Universities of applied sciences
- Research institutions
As a theoretical physicist, you will probably not have any financial worries later, because the average annual salary is 41,100 euros.
What requirements do I need to study theoretical physics?
The course is only offered as a master’s degree. The basic requirement is a completed bachelor's degree in a related field. These can be, for example, these subjects:
- Environmental physics
- Medical photonics
- Biomedical Physics
- Medical physics
A specific numerus clausus is not known, but a good to very good bachelor's degree is generally required in order to be able to complete a postgraduate master’s course. It may also be that you have to pass an additional aptitude test and have a good command of English in order to be admitted to the course.
How does the theoretical physics course work?
Similar to the bachelor's degree, you will also attend seminars and lectures, write term papers and exams, and at the end of your studies you will write a master's thesis on which you will receive a grade. The master's in theoretical physics takes a total of four semesters.
How should I pay for the theoretical physics course?
Have you ever considered applying for a scholarship? Our online scholarship search will be happy to help you! You should also use the BAföG calculator to check how much money the state is paying you for your studies. Further financing options are a student job and a student loan.
Free in two clicks.
- What are the most famous facts
- Can inconsistency in DBMS be avoided
- What do 4 points mean when writing an SMS
- What is Microsoft Cosmos
- What do you dislike about Indian companies?
- What does loading path
- What does the word nirankari mean
- Will Ripple ever beat Bitcoin?
- What is hinduism after science
- How do I block a contact
- How does determinism relate to Spinoza?
- How does a confiscated engine sound like?
- Should the fire holes open to the outside
- Why do people hate Richard Stallman
- What is leaking in automatic cars
- Tortured Kaefer psychopathically as a child
- How is gerrymandering affecting the congressional elections
- How do I stay stubborn all the time
- What would happen if Italy exploded?
- What are the applications of simulated glow
- Which printer is best for art prints
- How do I pack cutlery for the move
- What is the answer to 4 + 2 5
- What marketing should be healthy for the business