How can I stop spitting while pregnant?
Pathological vomiting in pregnancy (Hyperemesis gravidarum): Severe and frequent, unstoppable vomiting in the first trimester of pregnancy, usually beginning between the 6th and 8th week of pregnancy.
This is to be distinguished from this physiological vomiting: In connection with severe nausea, frequent morning vomiting in early pregnancy. It is stressful and exhausting, but normal and harmless due to the hormonal changes. It therefore does not need medical treatment and usually disappears after the first three months at the latest.
- Vomiting 5–10 times a day, regardless of the type and time of food
- Strong thirst and dehydration (dry mucous membranes, skin can be pulled together on the back of the hand and "stops")
- Rise in temperature (thirst fever)
- Weight loss
- Slightly alcoholic odor from the mouth (acetone odor, foetor ex ore).
When to the doctor
The next day if the constant vomiting lasts for a day or fluid cannot be retained
Immediately if You feel dizzy, the skin turns yellow (jaundice), you have a fever or you can no longer urinate.
Almost all pregnant women are familiar with morning sickness during the first 8–12 weeks of pregnancy. It is particularly pronounced in multiples. But only if the vomiting continues throughout the day and eating and drinking are no longer possible, one speaks of one Hyperemesis. This extreme form occurs in one in 200 pregnant women.
The physical causes include the change in maternal hormones, especially the increase in the pregnancy hormone beta-HCG. But psychological factors also play a decisive role: For example, the fear of being overwhelmed by the new situation, professional stress, rejection of the child's father or the family environment, but also the rejection of the child can play a role. A study by the Norwegian Health Institute in Oslo has also shown that women whose mothers have also suffered from vomiting are three times more likely to be affected. Hereditary factors seem to play a role.
That's what the doctor does
Treatment depends on how severe the vomiting is. In many cases, changing your diet to frequent, small, low-fat and low-protein meals is sufficient.
In the case of severe forms of vomiting, a stay in the clinic is usually necessary: there the pregnant woman can take in enough fluids and all important nutrients via infusions without having to eat. In most cases, anti-vomiting medication (anti-emetics) such as Vomex A® or Peremesin® are also required.
The hospital stay has another effect: it changes the often difficult environment of the pregnant woman and thus leads to an improvement in the disease.
Your pharmacy recommends
If the vomiting has not yet led to complications, it is definitely advisable to try to change your eating habits. That means:
- Eat lots of small, high-carbohydrate but low-fat and low-protein meals throughout the day
- To eat according to appetite.
There is no magic bullet for hyperemesis. For example, you can try eating low-fat natural yogurt before getting up in bed or drinking a cup of chicken broth on an empty stomach. What “stays in” is the right thing.
In the next pregnancy, vomiting is not necessarily equally pronounced; the cause of this fluctuation is not known.
Special text: What to do about nausea?
Good results have been achieved with the use of acupuncture in hyperemesis. A number of gynecologists now also offer acupuncture.
Individual homeopathic treatments have also been reported to produce good results in expectant mothers. However, they are not scientifically proven - they are based on the experience of the practitioner.
AuthorsDr. med. Katja Flieger, Dr. med. Arne Schäffler in: Gesundheit heute, edited by Dr. med. Arne Schäffler. Trias, Stuttgart, 3rd edition (2014). | last changed on at 10:49
- What a choice Ezekiel Elliott was
- Can the military be climate neutral negative
- Which is the best GPS
- Has Trump had success in life
- How does the degree of length help in calculating the time
- What is the SAP Cloud Platform
- What is transmission time
- How does Bluetooth Low Energy work
- What are film studies
- What is the equivalent weight of H3PO4
- What's more interesting in software development
- How is math used in making music
- How do cakes affect a company?
- Where is the Dhruva Institute in Haldia
- Dhoni is a disgrace to cricket
- How is Samsung J2 2018
- Is Amazon a Right Choice to Work with
- What are the uses of Albizia trees
- Is the Star Wars sequel trilogy sexist
- What is DNC
- What alternatives are there for personal loans
- Takes bamboo 5 years to grow
- Asbestos is used to make pipes
- What is the value of epsilon anything